Posted by Deanna Stovall on 4:34 AM

This a reflection of education, and myself. Enjoy.

“Read pages 205-223, after you have done the reading do the ‘Check Your Comprehension 1-5’ and then complete the questions in the packet. Maybe we’ll discuss them later.” I never truly had teacher who engaged you in to the subjects and literary themes given to us until high school. We were lucky if they got up from there desk and walked around and gave two examples of how the things that are being fed to us, relates to our personal lives. Let alone how it depicts in a deeper sense. Elementary School teachers, I have come to believe, think their students could care less about their ability to learn. They were lazy, and that laziness was contagious. It came to a point when the students stop caring about classes because the teachers didn’t care; That’s were it all began. I have had more than one moment when I have heard a teacher say to their classes “You know I don’t have to teach you anything. I still get my paycheck!” A teacher shouldn’t express that no matter how unruly a class has been. Middle school was no different. The teachers cared so little that they got caught up in their own lives than the areas of focused. “What happen with your mom on vacation” is not going to help us pass all the standardized test that we’ll have to take in the next three weeks! I finally got a true educational beginning when I entered High School. The teachers wanted to catch us before we were lost to society. I, personally, knew I was lazy. I had the potential to be a straight As student but I didn’t care. I finally was concerned when I found out that there was a great chance I wasn’t going to graduate. I had dug a hole that I almost couldn’t get out of. Scott Davison was a man who, in my senior year, saved me from that abyss most students vanished in. He sat me down a said “No one is going to give a shit how talented you are or THINK you are. When you get into the real world they are just going to look passed you and not even mind. They are just going to say ‘Tough luck!’” I will never forget that day I was crying inside his classroom while my peers were out for the after school hours. One in a while people need a “Scott Davison” to shove a mirror in their face a say “Man up! Get on it!!” This was a point in time that tough love helped me forget those neglecting teachers I’ve had and those assignment I intentionally didn’t do. I learned in that one stern lecture my senior year that I am the only one who could make myself do what is asked, especially what is needed of myself as an artist and a student.

0 comments:

Post a Comment